We’re turning 15! So, let’s take a moment to reflect on our journey…
Our milestone 15th anniversary is all about celebrating our journey and the wonderful (growing) community of guests who come to enjoy our unique combination of German and Australian cuisine, locally brewed German beer, warm hospitality and our wonderful Swan Valley location.
We are passionate about created dishes that are fresh, wholesome and feature locally sourced ingredients. This includes using the highest quality Smallgoods produced by our Co-owner Elmar himself, a renowned Smallgoods maker in Western Australia.
At Elmar’s in the Valley we strive to create dining and social experiences that are truly memorable.
Before we reminisce on our history, we wish to share how we plan to celebrate with you!
Our actual birthday – Wednesday 15th April
Of course, we can’t let the actual day pass by without offering a little something extra. It’s a German tradition that when it’s your birthday you provide the cake and extras. So in keeping with this, those who book and dine with us on Wednesday 15th April get a free glass of Prosecco AND free birthday cake. (Please book at least 12 hours in advance to qualify).
Throughout the month of April
We wanted to do something special for the whole of our ‘beerthday’ month. So dine with us at any time in April and we’ll give you a 15% discount voucher to be used on your next visit (applies to a spend of over $50 and must be used within three months).
We’ve also got a new special brew to mark this occasion – our ‘Annibeersary’ – at only $15 for a 1 litre steins!
Don’t fancy a beer? Then you’ll love the exclusive Elmar’s Beer Martini, an espresso martini with a unique twist of our craft beer – our specially concocted (and delicious) beerthday cocktail of the month ($15).
When it comes to food, we’ve also cooked up some special offerings that have been favourites over the years:
- Kassler, Smoked Pork Chop (Kassler-Kotelette): Smoked kassler chop with smoked pork sausage, German sauerkraut and potato mash.
- Rolled Pork Belly: Tender pork belly rolled with honey mustard glaze and Elmar’s kangaroo and emu, served atop fried garlic zucchini with rosemary potato, beer mustard sauce and homemade red onion confit.
- Curry Pork Sausage (Currywurst): Elmar’s currywurst topped with onion and tomato curry sauce, served with chips and a side of curry aioli.
We hope you can join us during April our ‘Beerthday’ month, so you can take advantage of our specials and indulge in one of our exceptional feature meals.
Our Story in the making…
In the meantime, join us on an exploration of our 15-year history and discover exactly what makes us tick…
- 2005: Elmar’s opens in the wonderful Swan Valley, tempting diners’ and lovers’ of quality food with delicious German fare, craft bier and smallgoods on-site. The now well-established Oktoberfest enjoyed its first year.
- 2006: Elmar’s hosted its first wedding
- 2007: First music concert held (Jumping Jazz and Daryl Braithwaite).
- 2008: Ben Merito started playing at Elmar’s
- 2009: Patio extension was completed – an undercover area, paving and roof. Restaurant floor was refurbished. Elmar’s wins three awards – two for its craft beers in the Australian International Beer Awards and Best European Cuisine from the R&CIA Awards for Excellence.
- 2010: Awarded the following – Bronze award for Tourism Wineries, Distilleries & Boutique Breweries from WA Tourism. Finalist in the Boutique Brewery (Aha-Aon Awards for Excellent) and Restaurant within a Brew Pub (R&CIA Awards for Excellence.
- 2011: Full scale kitchen renovation. Multiple awards, including two medals for their Schwarz Bier and Ein Stein Pilsner at the Perth Royal Beer Show.
- 2012: Introduction of the Christmas Day Gourmet Buffet. Multiple awards, including finalists in the Best Outdoor Area category at the AHA-Aon Awards for Excellence and a silver medal in the WA Tourism Awards for Tourism Restaurant and Catering Services.
- 2013: Awards include Best Tourism Initiative and silver medals for Elmar’s Schwarz bier and Elmar’s’ Marzen Bier.
- 2014: First Food & Beer Festival, further patio extension. Further multiple award winner and finalist in categories such as Best Restaurant and Best Boutique Brewery.
- 2016: Children’s playground was installed
- 2017: Playground shade was added so kids could play safely out of the sun, driveway and overflow carpark built. Introduced the 500ml beer cans.
- 2018: Re-introduction to weddings with a new marquee and outlook
- 2020: Elmar’s 15th Beerthday Party
We wouldn’t be celebrating our success if it wasn’t for our people.
We’re proud of our team and their dedication to our passions of great food, craft German bier, our German heritage and the quality of the artisan smallgoods we sell.
- Elmar and Anette Dieren: After relocating to Australia in 1987 and establishing two successful smallgoods stores, Elmar and Anette took on the challenge of opening a full-service German restaurant and brewery. Elmar’s in the Valley was born out of Elmar’s love for great German beer. Unable to find it in Oz, he decided to brew it himself. This, combined with Anette’s love for fresh, wholesome food, the desire to bring a sense of community and a place where the whole family could come together to socialise and enjoy, has led what is now one of the premier family-friendly dining locations in the whole of the Swan Valley.
- Steffen and Karolina: This husband and wife duo are Elmar’s General Manager and Assistant Restaurant Manager. Arriving as backpackers in Australia in 2005, they worked at Elmar’s in 2006 and 2007, went travelling for a year, and were coaxed back by Anette and Elmar in October 2009. Steffen started as a chef, working his way through the ranks to take the coveted position of General Manager. Both Steffen & Karo have been pivotal in maintaining and enhancing the German culture at Elmar’s. Bringing new fresh ideas around German food, introducing new traditions to Elmar’s, including Oktoberfest and other German customs that they’re proud of & want to share with patrons. And what is Steffen’s most prized possession at Elmar’s? His 85kg frying pan that can cook up to 80 Bratwurst at once!
- Di: The long serving Restaurant Manager joined in December 2007. We asked her about her vision for the future and proudest moment to date, and she told us: “When I arrived in Dec 2007 there were outdoor umbrellas with shade sails in that area. The umbrellas covered only a portion of the area, and the shade sails were destroyed in a windy evening when partial roofing was destroyed in the torrential weather. Business was increasing and we were turning away over 200 covers per weekend day for weeks. I requested something to be done by way of additional shelter and seating to accommodate the amount of visitors, and logged the numbers of people to demonstrate to Anette the loss of revenue due to not being able to meet demands. The owners listened. I remember Elmar and myself stepping out the space and asking me – “is it big enough?” Of course I said yes! I should have said no as it became even busier with the upgrade. We then added the extra paved area after that”.
We’re as dedicated to our staff as we are to welcoming our wonderful customers. We certainly couldn’t do our job without them. We’ve got 34 employees as of now, with Anne being with us from the outset and six having been with us for over 10 years.
Other reasons to visit Elmar’s
There’s so many reasons to enjoy the wonders of the Swan Valley’s premier family-friendly dining and brewery destination.
Whether it’ll be it a fun-filled day out for all the family, dining and imbibing on a winery and brewery tour, celebrations (birthdays, anniversaries, hen parties etc.) or just a relaxing place to kick back with friends and loved ones.
Some additional highlights:
- Our annual events calendar, there’s always something happening at Elmar’s in the Valley – Highland Games, Psychic Dinners, Koi Auctions, West Coast Festival of Strength, market Days and of course our iconic Oktoberfest festivals!
- Our fully enclosed two-acre beer garden
- Shaded kids playground
- Live music EVERY weekend
We’re also the prime venue in which to take a much-needed rest when touring the many attributes of the region. Groups love our welcoming atmosphere, laid-back vibe and stunning position in the Swan Valley.
Quite simply, if you’re looking for some good old-fashioned family-friendly fun, then Elmar’s is THE location you need to discover.
We can’t wait to welcome you…